Rock Tumbling Contest
The 2019 rock is Rhodonite! It was collected near Paradise, CA and is ready to ship! It was delayed due to the November 2018 fires in Paradise, California. Not only did several club members lose their homes but the rock planned for the tumbling contest was turned to ash.
Entry fee is $30.00 (US Dollars) for 3 pounds of rough rock for continental US residents. This includes shipping the material to you via US Postal Service. Outside the continental USA will be $30.00 plus any additional shipping costs. Contest rules and application (pdf). Form is fillable via free pdf software.
- 3 lbs. of rough rock will be shipped to you when the application and payment are approved beginning in mid January 2019
- Deadline to submit the application is June 1, 2019
- Return via mail 5 of your best polished rocks and a copy of the entry form (shipped with the rough rock) postmarked no later than August 15, 2019
- Apply early and take your time to tumble!
- Cash prizes of $250, $100, and $50 for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places winners!
- Trophy for the first place winner!
- Winner will be announced in October 2019
To enter the contest:
- Complete the application and submit it with payment.
- Hard Copy: Or print out the application and mail with payment payable to FRLMS to the address on application.
A BIG THANK YOU TO MIKE AND CAROL EGGLESTON
This past November 2018, Butte County residents suffered a devastating wildfire event; The Camp Fire. Most all of the Paradise area, including homes, businesses, land, wildlife, water quality, electricity, phone services including cell towers and way too many human lives were lost in a matter of hours. It was horrific. 7 of our rock club members lost everything, including all of the Succor Creek jasper we had collected for the World-Wide Rock Tumbling Contest. The rock turned to ash and dust. Manuel’s beautiful hand crafted rock crusher was heavily damaged as well.
Two members from the Paradise rock club, (that club suffered heavy losses also) Mike and Carol Eggleston, offered to give us their personal supply of rhodonite for the 2019 contest. Mike has a small rock crusher and is in the process of busting up said rhodonite rough for us. Put simply this is an extraordinary outreach to FRLMS Inc., and its club members wish to say THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to Mike and Carol.
This entire county is struggling, to say the least, to get back up on its feet. With this outreach of rhodonite rough, our club can continue with its annual tumbling contest. We have received offers of help from tumblers in the United States also. We wish to thank them too.
I hope 2019 sees you all in good health and happiness, especially to those in Butte County in California, suffering from such great loss.
Lori Millard, FRLMS Inc. Tumbling Chair, 2019
Congratuations to everyone who participated in the 2018 Contest!
First Place: Ann Ferris, Signal Mountain, TN, USA
Second Place: Charles Martin, Sterling Heights, MI, USA
Third Place: Trevor Simmonds, Invercargill, New Zealand
Your outstanding tumbling techniques created some absolutely beautiful specimens. Good job!
People are Talking about the Contest!
RockTumbler.com ... learn about using 1,000 grit
RockTumbler.com has the largest library of rock tumbling articles.
Updated October 12, 2018