Rock Tumbling Contest
2018 Worldwide Tumbling Contest
Entry fee is $30.00 (US Dollars) for 3 pounds of rough rock for continental US residents. This includes shipping the material to you via US Postal Service. Outside the continental USA will be $30.00 plus any additional shipping costs. Contest rules and application (pdf). Form is fillable via free pdf software.
- 3 lbs. of rough rock will be shipped to you when the application and payment are approved beginning in early January 2018
- Deadline to submit the application is June 1, 2018
- Return via mail 5 of your best polished rocks and a copy of the entry form (shipped with the rough rock) postmarked no later than August 15, 2018
- Apply early and take your time to tumble!
- Cash prizes of $250, $100, and $50 for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places winners!
- Trophy for the first place winner!
- Winner will be announced in September 2018
To enter the contest:
- Complete the application and submit it with payment.
- Hard Copy: Or print out the application and mail with payment payable to FRLMS to the address on application.
Congratuations to everyone who participated in the 2017 Contest!
First Place: David Hasson, Chicago, IL, USA
Second Place: Robert Abram, Alpena, MI, USA
Third Place: Marcia Foky, Coaldale, CO, USA
Your outstanding tumbling techniques created some absolutely beautiful specimens. Good job!
We realize that this year’s material was probably the toughest yet to tumble and polish. That is what this contest is all about. Not every stone is created equally by Mother Nature. Many of you had difficulty with pitting, softness and inclusions. I will tell you that all of you had the same quality of stone and that many of the returned stones had those same pits and inclusions in them. Our judges were fully aware of that and took that in to consideration. Again, I wish that more of you would have returned your finished stones to us. It is always an equal playing field for all. Any of you can win this contest. At this time, we have never had the same first place winner yet. A list of the top twelve places returnedwill be posted for the first time in our tumbling website. You will be able to see where you placed this year; first, fifth or tenth, etc. Severl of you tied in several places. For those that are tied, I listed you in order of when you applied, not necessarily how you did in that “place”. See how you did here. (pdf, 154 KB)
Please keep an eye out for next year’s material to be posted as soon as we have all the information for said rock. You can send us your application starting January 1, 2018.
We would like to thank all of you for joining in on the fun. We thank those of you that have been with us through the past years and always enjoy those of you that are new to the challenge. We also appreciate you sending out the word to all those that love to tumble throughout the world. What a talented bunch you all are!
Lori Millard, 2017 Tumbling Coordinator, F.R.L.M.S Inc.
People are Talking about the Contest!
RockTumbler.com ... learn about using 1,000 grit
RockTumbler.com has the largest library of rock tumbling articles.
Updated February 20, 2018